Weight loss surgery in Gainesville, Florida
Welcome to the Obesity Center for Surgery & Treatment at North Florida Regional Healthcare. For more than 35 years, our physicians and staff have provided care for patients who choose weight loss surgery to help them achieve a healthy life. Our center is accredited by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery as a Comprehensive Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. Centers which have this accreditation must meet rigorous quality indicators and outcomes to make sure high quality care is provided to patients.
Our center has also been recognized with a number of awards for our quality program. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc. (BCBSF) has designated North Florida Regional Medical Center (NFRMC) as a Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery.
To learn more about our bariatric surgical services, please call the Center for Obesity Surgery and Treatment at (352) 331-5255.
The team at our weight loss center includes experienced bariatric surgeons, dietitians and nurses who help walk you through your entire weight loss journey. We also have a dedicated bariatric coordinator who is available to help answer all your questions and facilitate your care.Visit our weight loss clinic's website
Options for weight loss surgery
Our bariatric surgeons perform the following surgeries:
- Adjustable gastric banding
- Sleeve gastrectomy (also called a gastric sleeve)
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Gastric band over bypass
Who qualifies for weight loss surgery
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age of older
- Have one of the following:
- BMI of 30* (for Lap-Band® surgery only) with at least one medical condition associated with obesity such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.
- BMI of 35 with at least one medical condition associated with obesity
- BMI of ≥ 40
- Previous unsuccessful weight loss attempts
- Make major changes in eating habits and lifestyle
- Sign informed consent
- Commit to regularly scheduled follow-up visits
* The FDA has recently approved expanded use of the Lap-Band® for obese adults with a minimum BMI of 30 and at least one medical condition associated with obesity. Please check with your insurance provider to confirm coverage.
FREE weight loss surgery orientation
At the Obesity Center for Surgery and Treatment, we want our patients to have as much information and support as possible. This philosophy applies to the time prior to surgery when patients are learning about their options, and it applies in the months following surgery. We offer information sessions on a regular basis for patients prior to surgery. We offer support sessions for patients following surgery. Please call the Center at (352) 331-5255 to register for one of our free weekly orientations. We are offering one-on-one and online versions via Webex.
Our program is proud to be recognized as a Blue Distinction Center+ by Blue Cross Blue Shield and an Accredited Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP).
Coming to our weight loss clinic
Our weight loss center is located on the campus of North Florida Regional Medical Center in the Medical Arts Building. Our offices are located on the first floor of the building in suite 106.
We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm.