North Florida Regional Medical Center and its sister hospitals create a strong and efficient network of triage and treatment of diseases affecting the central and peripheral nervous systems. That means we care deeply about your brain, spine, peripheral nerves and the structures that surround them. The skull and the amazing engineering of the bony spine are of equal importance.
The commitment to handle the most complex brain and spine issues has culminated in achieving Comprehensive Stroke Center certification last year. Our care of those in need of emergency stroke intervention has been heralded as among the best in the country. We are embarking on the same journey again in establishing a combined Spine Center of Excellence. We want you to have a simple and efficient way to get help for your aching back or neck by our dedicated Pain Specialists, Nurse Practitioners, Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, Nurses and Clinic Staff.
Our hospitals boast the fastest time to be evaluated by a physician in our Emergency Room. Spine care will now be delivered with a similar commitment. We are bringing what we have learned in creating the best Stroke care and the best ER care in the community to back, neck and brain care.
Bringing Spine Care to You
At some point in everyone’s life, they experience debilitating back or neck pain that keeps them from being active or accomplishing their goals. The most common cause of missed work and loss of enjoyments is back and neck pain. Issues can be as simple as an inflamed muscle but as complex as invasive metastatic cancer of the vertebrae. When pain strikes you, understanding what you are dealing with quickly is the most important first step.
In 2018, the new Spine and Brain Center of Excellence at North Florida Regional Medical Center will open outreach clinics in communities around Gainesville, Lake City and Putnam so that your healthcare provider can get you evaluated quickly and close to home. These locations will often provide imaging of the spine and continued office visits, as well as surgery and pain interventions.
Take a free self-assessment test to learn more about your risk for injury:
You answered yes on questions.
For more information about our neuroscience services and the physicians who provide neuroscience care, call Consult-A-Nurse® at (800) 611-6913. Representatives are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day to help in any way.
At the Spine and Brain Center of Excellence at North Florida Regional Medical Center, we are equipped to tackle a myriad of spine diseases. Pain and dysfunction of the spine require thoughtful diagnosis on the part of our physicians and providers. We must search for clues in patients’ presentation, the way they walk, and the way they carry their pain or weakness. There are many different categories of diseases to consider, but the most common ones are:
- Herniated disc: Often causing pressure on either the spinal cord or a nerve to the arms
- Radiculopathy: Shooting pain from the neck down the arm, developing weakness
- Degenerative disc disease
- Thickening of the ligaments and bony canals causing “pinched nerves”
- Bones spurs
- Posterior facet joint inflammation and thickening or laxity
- Sub occipital neuralgia
- Trauma: Fractures, spinal cord injury, nerve injury
- Degenerative diseases: Rheumatoid arthritis, multiple myeloma
- Tumors: Benign and cancerous
- Complex deformity: Scoliosis or malformations
- Infection/abscesses: Discitis, epidural abscesses, TB
In addition to site specific diseases:
- Cervical Spine/Neck
- Chiari Malformation
- Brachial Plexus injury or inflammation
- Neck Artery injuries/pathology: Carotid endartectomy for cholesterol plaque or injury/dissection. Vertebral artery injury due to spine manipulation or car accident.
- Thoracic Spine/Mid Back
- Lumbar Spin/Lower Back
- Foot drop, walking and gait difficulties
- Cauda Equina syndrome of bowel and bladder dysfunction
- Lumbar Plexus injury or inflammation