Delivering Quality Healthcare for North Central Florida
Quality healthcare is important to each and every patient. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality defines quality healthcare as “doing the right thing at the right time in the right way to achieve the best results possible.” At North Florida Regional Healthcare, our expert providers work together at North Florida Regional Medical Center and all the other facilities in our organization to deliver those results. We are recognized for our commitment to quality by some of the most respected organizations in healthcare.
Here’s what others say about the quality within North Florida Regional Healthcare.
- We demonstrate excellence with accreditation by The Joint Commission, American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, American Society for Bariatric Surgery, American Academy of Sleep Medicine and American Diabetes Association.
- North Florida Regional Medical Center exceeds benchmarks set by Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the treatment of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention.
- We are recognized by HealthGrades, the nation’s leading independent healthcare ratings company, for the highest rated care in general surgery and for maternity care. More on those ratings is available at www.healthgrades.com.
- North Florida Regional Medical Center is recognized by the American Stroke Association’s Get with the Guidelines quality improvement program for consistently adhering to strict procedures for the treatment of stroke. We have reached the organization’s Gold Achievement Level recognition for our stroke program.
- The Institute for Safe Medication Practices presented its Cheers Award to North Florida Regional Medical Center for a superlative standard of excellence in the prevention of medication errors.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield has designated North Florida Regional Medical Center a Blue Distinction® Center for Spine Surgery, as well as Knee and Hip Replacement and Bariatric Surgery. These designations are based on rigorous, evidence-based selection criteria in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations and based on their recommendations.
- We participate in national databases of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. By committing to collecting outcomes data for submission to these databases, surgeons are committing to improving the quality of care their patients receive.
- We have embraced an evidence-based teamwork system originally developed by the Department of Defense in collaboration with the Agency for Research and Quality. It is aimed at enhancing patient outcomes through enhanced communication and teamwork skills among all healthcare providers. Master trainers help implement this system at North Florida Regional Healthcare.
The Role of Technology in Delivering Quality
There is little doubt that advances in technology play an important role in delivering quality healthcare. That is why North Florida Regional Healthcare is committed to investing in new technology. Here are a just a few examples:
- A partnership Alachua County Fire & Rescue makes possible the real-time transmission of EKG tests from the field into the ER at North Florida Regional Medical Center to speed the care for patients having the most dangerous kind of heart attacks. In nearby counties without the resources to pay for needed equipment, Hospital Corporation of America has committed to donate the technology. Emergency and Cardiology physicians and staff can be ready to treat patients as soon as they arrive, saving precious minutes
- Our acquisition of OB Airstrip technology makes it possible for physicians to monitor maternity test results in real-time on their smart phones. Because OBGYN doctors cannot be at their patients’ sides through every moment of labor, this increases accuracy in interpreting test results when doctors can see them instantly and remotely on their smart phones.
- Operating room tracking screens at North Florida Regional Medical Center allow family and friends in the surgical waiting rooms to receive up-to-the-minute status updates on their loved ones. While the screens do not affect patient outcomes, they provide comfort and assurance to friends and family waiting for word about their loved ones. We believe that is also a part of quality patient care.
- An electronic medication administration barcode system is in place to ensure that North Florida Regional Healthcare patients receive the correct medication and dosage. Similarly, a barcode system enhances patient safety
- We make possible access to 9-1-1, immediate medical treatment, physician locator, medical library and more through an iTriage application for iPhone and Android users. This brings highly relevant information to patients when they need it.
Patients may access the State of Florida’s Agency for Healthcare Administration website at this link for information about this facility: www.floridahealthfinder.gov