My responsibility as an employee or volunteer of North Florida Regional Healthcare is to serve our patients with outstanding service of unmatched value. I will exhibit respect, courtesy, and compassion to all our patients. I will exhibit Service Excellence in Attitude, Appearance, Communication, Care and Commitment to all of our customers including patients, visitors, physicians, co-workers and other guests.
- I will work cooperatively through teamwork and serve effectively, efficiently, and consistently.
- I will acknowledge a patient, visitor and/or physician's presence immediately, smile and introduce myself.
- I will work to meet and exceed our patients’ needs by doing everything I am capable of doing as quickly as possible.
- I will act and perform professionally to create and enhance trust and credibility.
- I will ensure that our patients have a quiet environment in which to heal by lowering my voice, closing doors, reminding visitors and monitoring the activity in my work area.
- I will consistently maintain a clean and professional appearance.
- I will consistently follow dress code policies, (including locators and communication devices if required), and display my identification badge correctly.
- I will reflect helpfulness and compassion in my demeanor, facial expressions and appearance.
- I will pick up litter and dispose of it properly. I will clean up spills properly and if I am unable to clean up the spill, I will notify the appropriate staff and make sure all traffic is redirected to avoid customer slippage and/or exposure.
- I will communicate openly and honestly within the organization and as a representative of the organization in the community.
- I will actively listen to patients, visitors, physicians and coworkers and seek clarification if I do not understand.
- I will be courteous and use common, understandable language/terminology in my communications.
- I will have personal conversations, including via telephone, only during breaks and not in the presence of patients or visitors.
- I will maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- I will escort those who need assistance in finding their way within the facility.
- I will learn how to properly operate telephones and always answer the telephone within 4 rings by identifying myself by my name and department, and ask "How may I help you?" I will remain on the line when transferring a call until the other party answers. I will get the caller's permission before putting him/her on hold and thank the caller for holding.
- I will strive to communicate effectively and in a professional manner with patients, visitors, physicians and coworkers.
- I will use hospital approved scripts to aid in communication.
- I will demonstrate interest when patients, families, visitors, physicians and coworkers address me.
- I will ask if there is anything else I can do before exiting the room, explaining that I have time to assist.
- I will ensure good communication with patients by: explaining hourly rounding to patients and families, participating in hourly rounding, using the white boards in patient rooms, and participating in walking rounds at shift change as appropriate in nursing units.
- I will assume responsibility for answering patient call lights and will acknowledge call lights and respond in the shortest possible time.
- I will anticipate patients’ needs when rounding hourly to avoid the use of call lights.
- I will address patients by name using Mr. or Mrs. /Ms., as appropriate.
- I will introduce myself at the beginning of my shift, prior to any procedure or encounter with assigned patients and to families and visitors when appropriate.
- I will check on my patients hourly to minimize requests.
Commitment to Co-workers
- I will work cooperatively through teamwork.
- I will treat others as professionals with courtesy, honesty, and respect.
- I will welcome, support and assist newcomers.
- I will support and offer help to coworkers whenever possible.
- I will address concerns and issues by communicating with the appropriate individual and utilize the chain of command properly.
- I will praise in the presence of others whenever possible.
- I will not criticize or embarrass coworkers in the presence of others.
- I will educate families about processes and provide a comfortable atmosphere for waiting customers.
- I will explain to patients and families the "plan of care" for the admission or test.
- I will update family members periodically, at least hourly, while the patient is undergoing a procedure.
- I will smile and speak with fellow passengers and hold the door open for others. I will face patients in wheelchairs or stretchers toward the door and exit with care. If transporting a patient in a bed or stretcher, I will politely request that others wait for another elevator.
- I will ask visitors what floor they are going to when they get on and press the button for them.
- I will pause before entering an elevator to allow those exiting to go first and step aside or to the back to make room for others.
- I will not discuss work, confidential patient information or have inappropriate conversations in the elevator.
- I will always treat families and visitors as guests.
- I will always maintain the confidentiality of patient information. I will never discuss patients and their care or disclose confidential patient information in a public manner.
- I will remain aware of how loudly I am speaking and who may be within listening range.
- I will escort distraught family members to a private area.
- I will knock before entering a patient's room and identify myself and purpose.
- I will close curtains and/or doors before exams or procedures.
- I will provide a robe or second gown if a patient is ambulating or in a wheelchair.
- I will never discuss patient information with anyone who does not have a need to know.
- I will consistently use correct body mechanics to ensure safety for myself and others.
- I will report all accidents or incidents promptly by completing an occurrence report and forwarding to my supervisor.
- I will consistently follow established facility and manufacturer's safety policies and procedures.
- I will use protective clothing, devices, gear, and procedures when appropriate.
- I will correct or report any safety hazard I see and remain near the hazard area until proper staff has arrived.
- I will always perform good hand hygiene before and after any interaction with a patient.
Sense of ownership
- I will continuously demonstrate a sense of pride and ownership in the organization.
- I will accept the responsibility of my job.
- I will offer appropriate suggestions for improvements to my supervisor and share my ideas with others. I understand that each individual represents the entire organization.
- I will adhere to policies and procedures.
- I will recognize others who go above and beyond through the NorthStar recognition program.
These performance standards have been developed by the employees and leadership of North Florida Regional Healthcare to establish specific behaviors that all employees are expected to practice.
By incorporating these standards as a measure of overall work performance, North Florida Regional Healthcare makes it clear that all employees and volunteers are expected to adhere to and practice these Standards of Performance at all times.
I acknowledge that I have received a copy of and have read and understand the Standards of Performance. I commit to perform the standards herein outlined. I further understand that if I do not comply with these standards, disciplinary action may be taken that could lead to termination of my employment.